“Olivia Was a Motivating Factor”- Daniel Cormier Pays Homage to a Dear Friend

The latest edition of The Ariel Helwani Show featured Daniel Cormier. The pair talk about all things UFC and life. In addition, Cormier shares a very personal and heartwarming account of an unlikely friendship forged in hardship and adversity.

Cormier talks about the time when he was flying down to one of his fights back in 2013-14. This was long before he had made his way to the top of the heavyweight division.

He talks about how a lady sitting right next to him struck up a conversation with him. Cormier adds that the lady named Olivia was traveling with her husband, William.

“She was very sick Ariel. Cancer, stage-4. We started talking. And I told her, ‘You fight your fight and I’ll fight my fight. And we’ll do this fight together. So we exchanged numbers. I said I’ll become a world champion, I’ll win this fight and all my fights and you win this fight over cancer.”- Daniel Cormier

Cormier then talks about how during this turmoil, Olivia and her husband became his strongest supporters. He talks about how they would come to watch his fights and comfort him in loss.

“And she fought this thing, Ariel. Every time she got really sick she’d be back in remission. And over the course of this time, she and her husband became two of the most strong supporters I have. They were at the Jones fight when I lost. In my hotel room comforting me after. They were at the rumble fight when I became champion. That’s where I met their daughter and her fiance.”- Daniel Cormier

Daniel Cormier Offers Prayers and Well Wishes

Cormier explains how they have been at almost every crucial fight that he has fought. He then reveals that Olivia tragically lost her fight to cancer early Sunday morning. Following which he sends a message out to her family wishing them well.

“Olivia was a motivating factor for me and a lot of people. And very loved and she’s going to be missed. It was so good to watch her do so well under such extreme circumstances for so long. And I appreciate the love and support that they gave me. And we’re going to miss her.”- Daniel Cormier

Cormier adds that Olivia was a massive MMA fan and that of Ariel Helwani in particular. However, DC takes comfort in the fact that Olivia is no longer suffering and that she’s back to her lively self.

The post “Olivia Was a Motivating Factor”- Daniel Cormier Pays Homage to a Dear Friend appeared first on EssentiallySports.



from EssentiallySports https://www.essentiallysports.com/ufc-news-olivia-was-a-motivating-factor-daniel-cormier-pays-homage-to-a-dear-friend/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=ufc-news-olivia-was-a-motivating-factor-daniel-cormier-pays-homage-to-a-dear-friend

Post a Comment

0 Comments