Seibold denies sabotaging Maguire at Souths

Anthony Seibold has hit back at claims he sabotaged Michael Maguire's relationship with South Sydney officials in order to grab the top job.

Seibold is coming off a bumpy 18 months after being sacked from the Broncos after their horror run, and is now working as an assistant for Adam O'Brien at Newcastle.

However, during an appearance on the Talking With TK podcast, Seibold was quizzed about his time at the Rabbitohs and was asked about the circumstances surrounding his elevation to the top position.

There were murmurs that Seibold worked behind the scenes to oust Maguire at the time but the ex-Brisbane coach said nothing could be further than the truth.

Anthony Seibold

"At Souths the opportunity just came up overnight," Seibold explained. "We were doing a review meeting and I got a phone call from the general manager of football Shane Richardson.

"He said: look we've decided to part ways with Michael Maguire immediately if any media call it's no comment, we'll update you later on.

"I've seen rumours that I undermined him – it's all bulls--t, absolute f---ing bulls--t. Pardon my language, but it made it hard between me and Madge because that's what people wanted to report because that's a good story.

"The story came out after I left South Sydney so I understand there's agendas at play. I rang Madge and Madge will tell you this … I wanted to talk to you before I sign the contract.

"I told Souths I wouldn't sign until I spoke to Madge and said this is what's happened and he said mate, you've worked hard for an opportunity. And you feel for him because he's a good guy and a good coach."

The move worked out well for Souths and Seibold, who led the team to a top four finish one game short of the grand final while taking out Dally M coach of the year.

Despite leaving the club, Seibold says he still is fond of the Rabbitohs.

Anthony Seibold

"I still love Souths," he said.

"I hope they have a good season, I love the boys that I coached that are still there.

"They were fantastic to coach, I didn't want to leave then. The Broncos showed a lot of interest in me and regardless of what was said I hadn't signed anything.

"I hadn't spoke to them at all. I knew they were interested but I had no contract offer or nothing. I started to get interest when they started talking the length of the contract because it wasn't just about me, it was about the kids, looking after my parents, it was a bigger thing.

"They offered me a six-year deal with the sixth year in my favour. Souths offered me a three-year deal. Now, I didn't want to go.

"The hardest conversation I've had in my life was calling (Rabbitohs owner) Russell (Crowe) when he was in New York and saying I had to go. It was a once in a lifetime opportunity to set up my family."

For a daily dose of the best of the breaking news and exclusive content from Wide World of Sports, subscribe to our newsletter by clicking here!



from WWOS https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/anthony-seibold-rubbishes-claims-he-undermined-michael-maguire-souths/bf8641db-544e-47af-87be-7002626aa6e8

Post a Comment

0 Comments