Gus' damning verdict for 'flat out' finalists Storm

Melbourne still don't possess the 'extra gear' required by true premiership contenders and their defence is a shadow of past Storm teams, legendary coach Phil Gould says.

The Storm beat Parramatta 36-24 in their finals opener on Saturday. Young fullback Ryan Papenhuyzen, touted as a genuine difference maker after a strong season, scored two tries to put his side within a game of the grand final.

Yet Gould told Wide World of Sports that he remained unconvinced by Melbourne's credentials for the title. While not writing off the Storm, he has Penrith as hot favourite after they knocked-off the back-to-back defending premiers, Sydney Roosters.

"No, I don't think so - I don't think they've got another gear to go to, I think that's as good as it's going to get," Gould said of Melbourne on The Final Whistle

"And I don't think it's defensively anywhere near as strong as what the great Melbourne Storm sides have been. Mind you, they mightn't have to be as strong as previous Melbourne Storm sides to get it done.

"I thought this was a game really where I wasn't impressed with either side. There was some brilliant attacking football, it was entertaining, but if I'm a coach of a team playing in semi-finals like this, I'm a little concerned that we're going to need a lot of improving if we're going to win a premiership.

"I did not see premiership-winning defence in this game. As a matter of fact, I didn't see premiership-winning defence in any game this weekend, in none.

"If it's just going to be a scoring-a-thon, Melbourne Storm can match it with the best of them in that category."

NRL great Paul Gallen leapt on the last point, saying: "So do they have another gear or don't they have another gear?"

Gould said that the Storm's attacking display against the Eels, which reaped six tries, was as good as could be expected: "They haven't got another gear, they're flat out. They're under the whip."

Gallen disagreed, saying that Papenhuyzen's rise was a fresh point of difference.

"I predicted last week it's going to be a Storm-Penrith grand final. I think Storm can get the job done and Smith will retire," Gallen said.

"I think they've got another gear from what they did last year."

Melbourne get this weekend off before facing the winner of Roosters vs Raiders. Gould is convinced that the Roosters are gone after a gruelling attempt to claim a premiership three-peat.

Gallen and Gould both agreed that Parramatta seemed doomed to exit the finals in straight sets. They face South Sydney, who smashed Newcastle 46-20, on Saturday.

"Eels are done, they're gone, they're cooked," Gould said.

Gallen replied: "I hate agreeing with Gus but he's right ... I don't think they can beat Souths."



from WWOS https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/melbourne-storm-finals-no-extra-gear-phil-gould-parramatta-eels/292d0569-90a4-45f4-99f3-22f97e889546

Post a Comment

0 Comments