Manly star charged over vulgar referee spray

Manly star Addin Fonua-Blake faces up to three weeks on the sidelines after he was charged for giving referee Grant Atkins a vulgar spray at full-time in yesterday's controversial loss to the Knights.

An irate Fonua-Blake, one of the best front-rowers in the competition, called Atkins a "f---ing retard" and was then sent off after video review official Jared Maxwell chose to take no action when a possible push in the back on winger Tevita Funa was referred.

The NRL's match review committee released its charge sheet from the match this morning, slapping Fonua-Blake with a Grade Three contrary conduct charge, which would see the Sea Eagles enforcer miss three weeks should he challenge the charge and fail.

In the more likely event that he lodges an early guilty plea, Fonua-Blake will cop a two-match suspension.

The NRL charge comes after Fonua-Blake apologised for the incident, which sparked outrage in the community, with Special Olympics Australia denouncing the use of the word "retard" in a Twitter post.

https://twitter.com/SOAustralia/status/1279709432692092928?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

In a statement released via the Sea Eagles, Fonua-Blake said: "Referees have a very tough job and we all need to respect their decisions even when we may not agree with them.

"I should not have let my emotions get the better of me and I am very sorry for the comments I made.

"I'd also like to offer my sincere apology to anyone offended by the regrettable language that I used. I let myself and my club down. That is not who I am or what this club stands for."

Nine commentator Phil Gould said that Fonua-Blake had "let his emotions get the better of him".

In his post-match press conference yesterday Manly coach Des Hasler addressed the send-off but not the offensive nature of Fonua-Blake's blast at the referee.

"Obviously, he sent Addin off so we'll need to look at that," Hasler said.

"I think from Addin's point of view, it was emotion and frustration, but you've got to contain that, so we'll have to wait and see what the charge or the fallout of that is.

"I'll have to probably check with Graham Annesley what the rule is in regards to the penalty try and the penalty and shot at goal.

"I'm sure it's fine and it's in the rules, but I'll check and see what the NRL has to say."

NRL Highlights: Sea Eagles v Knights - Round 8

from WWOS https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/addin-fonua-blake-cops-charge-over-referee-spray/f42b4285-413b-4e92-874f-6edaaaf2f807

Post a Comment

0 Comments