McGregor could be sacked by Dragons today

Paul McGregor could be sacked as Dragons coach on Tuesday when the club's board holds an emergency meeting, a report says.

The Sydney Morning Herald reported that a video conference would be held to discuss McGregor's future after a poor 22-2 loss to the Bulldogs on Monday. St George Illawarra are the NRL's only winless team after four rounds.

McGregor, who is aware of the meeting, conceded after the loss that he would understand if the Dragons decided to sack him but insisted he would not quit.

"Not a chance, I'm not a quitter," McGregor said on NRL 360. "If they make the decision, I'll understand it."

The former Test centre would reportedly receive a payout of about $1 million if his reign as coach was ended early, having been contracted until the end of next season.

The Dragons would have to appoint a new coach, with their situation complicated by a head coaching ban for assistant Shane Flanagan; who took Cronulla to a maiden premiership in 2016.

Premiership hero Dean Young could act as caretaker coach, while Craig Fitzgibbon was recently touted by Andrew Johns as a potential new head coach. Their 2010 premiership coach - Wayne Bennett, who is signed with South Sydney until the end of next season - may be another option.

McGregor was re-signed on a new two-year deal early last season, but the Dragons crashed to a dismal 15th-placed finish.

"I'm still the same coach - we're just not getting the results at the moment," he said.

On Tuesday, McGregor's close friend and former rep teammate Laurie Daley urged him to reconsider his future.

"I would say, mate, it's not working," Daley said on Sky Sports Radio.

"You seriously need to consider your position.

"Mate, I look at you now and you are not the same person. It looks as though it's getting to you, understandably.

"Do you need this stress in your life? Do you think you can get the best out of this playing group?

"I would say to you, mate, as a friend, I know you're no quitter, but you've got to make the decision.

"They're not playing for you at the moment and it might be time just to say, you know what, someone else needs to come in and do that job.

"I hope if that's the case I hope people are strong enough to tell him that, but I want him to do well, I want him to be there, I want him to come out the other side."



from WWOS https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/dragons-paul-mcgregor-coach-emergency-meeting-sacking/802b4cf9-a4b0-43e2-ae66-db767a932f9c

Post a Comment

0 Comments